March 30, 2017
Blast Chillers – A good choice for Retailers
With the developments in food awareness, consumers are becoming more sophisticated in their food selections. In many cases the visual appeal alone determines the selection. Operators must step up the game to stay relevant by offering differentiated entrees, soups, salads and sweets. Menu items must be prepared thoughtfully to meet the mark, this includes select ingredients, ethnic variety and professional preparation.
A pressing challenge is how to prepare enticing food and handle it safely from preparation to merchandising. Chilling methods are critical in maintaining color, freshness and “curb appeal” whether the merchandiser uses a grab and go container, salad bowl or a marble slab
Food safety rules require operators to use a two stage chilling process to bring hot food products from 140°F through the “temperature danger zone” to or below 40°F. This process can take up to 6 hours to accomplish manually. During this time, the food quality and appeal can diminish greatly. The most effective way to cool foods quickly with the highest quality is to utilize a blast chiller.
Blast chillers act like a convection oven in reverse. Rather than using convected hot air to heat the products, the blast chiller uses very cold convected air to draw the heat from the food products. Blast chillers are effectively used in retail operations for chilling soups, portions of lasagna, meatloaf, stews, gravies, desserts, pasta as well as boiled seafood. A critical product for operators is roasted chickens for sale as whole birds or as pulled meat for salads and sautés.
Ok so you like the concept of a blast chiller, why Randell Blast Chillers?
- Controls are easy to operate & provide digital readouts
- Chills most foods to 40°F within 90 minutes or less
- Chill to probe or by time
- Products can be chilled with covers unlike some competitors
- Air is pulled across the pans vs blowing over pans reducing surface evaporation during chilling
- Press fit gaskets make door maintenance a breeze
- 3, 5 and 18 pan capacity models
- Configured in undercounter, work top and upright models
- Zero clearance requirement on sides and back provides greater installation capability
- All racks can accommodate 12X20 pans or 18X26 sheet without adjustment
- Designed and built in the USA – Parts and Technical support is in the USA as well.
Check back in on the UB Retail Blog and more about blast chillers or another interesting topic.
Find out more about Randell Blast chillers and other great UB products at www.unifiedbrands.net.